Thread: 1993 Mazda rx-7
View Single Post
      11-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

No, it's not reliable and yes it's miles better than a BRZ. My dad's had one since 1993 and his has actually been very reliable, but that's certainly not the norm.

They have no torque before either turbo engages, they make S2000's feel like big blocks. With the a/c and heat in the 90's or higher they're comically gutless until you get past 6k rpm. Once the turbos kick in they like to oversteer like crazy.

But when you get it all right and it doesn't throw you into the weeds, it's very fun. In a straight line it's pretty much dead even with my old S52 M Coupe to about 120 where its aerodynamics give it a good advantage and even stock, it would do a touch over 165.

Lots of parts are getting very hard or impossible to find and some that are still available are quite pricey for a Japanese car. Mazda dealers will almost certainly not have any idea what it is either.

One funny note, since it's not a piston engine, parking and leaving it in gear does not create compression, so always use the e-brake. Ask me how I know this.
Appreciate 0