06-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G View Post
Just curious if anyone in here works or has worked for/with a hedge fund? Not really looking for a specific type of fund, just in genera (large, small, long/short, market neutral)l. I am thinking of changing jobs and would like some input. I currently work for a brokerage firm, i won't say which one, but we have about 3 Trillion in assets and in the grand scheme of things we are a "small firm". Great company, but i feel like my career here is getting a little boring and it will take a while to move to where i want to be. With that said, I am by no means a lazy worker or impatient with career moves...right now i put in around 65-70 hours a week, but in order to get where i want to be this will be the norm for about another 5 years...

With all that said i come from a trading background in derivatives. Since I worked on a desk for high net worth clients I am used to dealing with large orders usually $500k+. Largest order I have worked by myself has been $20MM. Even though my team was an options desk, we still executed orders for money markets, MFs, and stocks. I am very familiar with margin for both day traders and long term investors.

I am looking at applying for trading jobs at some local hedge funds (Boston) and I have noticed that a lot of them want programming experience as well, which I don't have, but this week i have been working with Python just to learn basics etc.

If anyone has any direct experience I'd love to hear your thoughts...I am even open to hearing "well i've heard" stories.

Thanks!
Yep but I work at a hedge fund on the IT side of things. I am an infrastructure manager between our NYC and London offices. Mainly focus on DR capability and implementing low latency / high frequency trading environments.