View Single Post
      07-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #78
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
That's not correct; perhaps the first German turbocharged production car but definitely not the first production car, nor the first mass produced one. That mark was crossed over a decade prior to the 2002 turbo by Detroit (GM) with more than one car line and engine design that was turbocharged, one of which had methanol/water injection too.
Ok, I dont know if that oldsmobile/corvair was produced in significant numbers but I obviously ment mass produced production car (although 'mass' is very relative). But my point stands, there is probably no marque thàt innovative on turboapplications as bmw whereas the person I quoted stated the opposite, that bmw was very much behind on turbo technique compared to other manufacturers. Being the marque introducing it in F1 and as a result making it forbidden within a few seasons says enough dont you think? And that was not the only example to prove my point.
And that early 2002 turbo has an impressive race pedigree too. In fact, if you could point out a 'first' bmw M3, prior to when the name or M as a 'Motorsport devision' was created (or '3 series' lol), the 2002 turbo was the one that started it imho. (I dont know where to put the e9 3.0csl, that was technically a predecessor of the 6 series which was also extensively raced by bmw of course, 3.0csl, m635csi etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
But the S50B32 was just a worked over S50B30! But the S50B30 was just a modified M50! But the M50 was just an updated M20! Etc.
I definately dont agree to that.
If you look closely to how the head is constructed, it has nothing in common with either the m50 or the m20.
I mean even the s50b30 already had vanos (single).
And the s54b32 shares much much more parts with the s50b32 than with the s65 lol did you even count?!?
Only the csl airbox is was based on the style what F1 uses, but in the post I quoted I didnt read anything about CSL. It was about e46m3 and e39M5.
And in that scope the s54 is more of a TU of the s50b32, they are really very similar in design, sizing of the parts and construction. You can probably even swap the crank....although the s50 has stronger rodbearings...). Even the HP gain was only 22hp. And in that perspective, the s50b32 was way more ahead of its then competition as the s54 was, like I wrote. If you looked at audi or mercedes at the time, they could only rivel that with a very big V8 (merc) or go to porsche at the time for a very very limited (less than 3000) production run (audi rs2) whereas the m3 sold by the 10k's.
By the time bmw came with the e46 m3 (343HP) audi had an rs4 with 380hp (with a v8, but in a similar sized car, sold also in large numbers so no special limited edition tuner model).
My point is that it was more of an accomplishment to have 321hp in 1995 in a 3.0 than to have 343hp in 2000.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-13-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0