08-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #1476
mperfct
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think Oban or Lagavulin would be good to try, Caol Ila is also a bit less peaty, IIRC; if you can find the Oban Little Bay it is one of my new finds. Lagavulin 16 is one of the top tiers in e/b book, but their new 8yo is also very nice.

I tend to prefer anything 'non-chill filtered' when possible (or they will warn that it will cloud with ice - same thing). The chill filtering takes out some proteins that add flavor. And adding a dash of water is also crucial (usually just a few cc's), and something it took getting used to; most other spirits I prefer straight, even Bourbon seems to just wash out. With Scotch the water does something to activate flavors, so to me much improved - you can actually see it if you hold it up to the light.
I'm not much of scotch drinker at this point, but I thought your comment was timely since I just read this a couple of days ago: http://lifehacker.com/scientists-pro...ste-1797988221

Someday I'll get into scotches. There is just so much good stuff out there and I'm just feeling my way around the bourbons and ryes!
Appreciate 0