05-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #179
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Nice pics and great that you are getting that kind of fuel economy, well done!

Should have let me know you were down my neck of the woods...Would have met up with you (even for a few minutes) at a services along your route. A stunning day for a jaunt out in the 7...

Safe travels, hope your trip back is as good and pleasant!
Thanks mate, utter madness at work at the moment so eating into my evenings so not had time to post but it's impressive.

I might end up back that way, not sure but I'll let you know if I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
That’s really impressive! I’ve worked by calculations on 25mpg (750i), so I might end up being pleasantly surprised
So basically as I was sat on a motorway for most of the journey I popped it into Eco Pro, cruise control and lane guidance. For almost the whole journey I only had to barely rest my hand on the wheel. I even used the automatic lane change as needed vs doing that myself.

I feel having driven a Tesla with AutoPilot, the BMW system is roughly at the same level. It's got the same kind of areas were it struggles with poorly marked lanes but can instead follow the car ahead. Sometimes when going past an exit but not needing to the car starts to feel like it wants to exit, the Tesla's also do that. Honestly we are a long way from fully driverless cars for all roads but motorways are pretty simple and they've cracked it to a pretty good level that it's far less hassle on a long trip.

Eco Pro was interesting as well, didn't have it in my M5 but it's progressed since my 335d. It managed to keep the car perfectly cool so didn't notice any impact from reduced AC, etc. Probably in a really hot country that's different but doubt you'd notice it here. I did notice the seat coolers weren't as strong but regardless I was perfectly comfortable.

Here's the really interesting and cool bit though. Over the roughly 220 miles in Eco Pro the coasted for around 10 miles of that journey. Likely why the fuel economy is so high but I suspect I'd still get 25mpg odd without it. Anyway with cruise control on with my 335d it would want to keep the exact speed you've set. This car is happy to let it go a little under and over if it means it can coast more. Maybe it's using the GPS data as well to help decide or just how it's programmed but it's really impressive.

Anyway Martin2C if you do a lot of long distance motorway / A mile roads you should easily hit 25mpg in a 750i. I could get around 27mpg in an F10 M5 which with 7 gears was sitting at a higher rpm. I suspect stick it in Eco Pro and take it easy you'll crack the 30mpg mark on a long run.

Again around town it's a different ball game but I've always found as I've upped the engine size on either petrol or diesels it doesn't make much difference to motorway fuel economy. Some but nothing to write home about.
Appreciate 0