10-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #36
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
DCT truly only shines on the track and I suspect she to increases in size the M3/4/5 etc are less likely to spend a significant amount of time on the track. It would not surprise me if BMWNA had data on the predominant operating environment of these vehicles. Another thing is that the power:weight ratio is getting to the point where AWD is the only reliable way to safely put down power. There are a lot of owners with more money than sense and consequently do not have the skillset to briskly drive modified versions of these cars.
I don't disagree but the M line didn't used to be about building cars for how people normally use them.

With the "shine on the track", same could be said about the whole M line of cars, tiny percentage of any cars time is at any limit or getting the most of it. If the decision on how to build a car is actually how people use them most of the time then there's no reason to build anything past an Accord. The "M" line used to cater to the enthusiast but seems to continue to get watered down with a focus on 0-60 using launch control.

With AWD, besides inclement weather, as DCT shines only at the track the same can be said for AWD and the never ending 0-60 being the overall goal. Interested in seeing how often the average M5 buyer is actually using AWD on dry roads. I think AWD is one of the worst things you can add to a sports sedan, carry about 150-200 lbs all the time, on the front axle, for the occasional time from a stop you want that extra small benefit of increased acceleration. It does benefit the owners ability to talk about his acceleration times, whether or not he ever goes through the process of activating and using launch control.

If the goal is to build cars for how people actually use them, cater to the masses and for the worst of the unskilled drivers the chances of building something exciting will continue to go down.