Thread: Navy thread
View Single Post
      12-12-2023, 05:16 PM   #278
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
In my earlier post about U.S. Navy ship-launched surface-to-air missiles, I omitted the long-retired Talos missile. The RIM-8 Talos was a monster with a launch weight well over twice that of the Terrier/Standard ER. Like the smaller missiles it had development problems, but by the mid-1960s was fairly reliable.

The Talos was a two-stage missile, with a rocket booster to get it launched and accelerated, and then a ramjet to power it the rest of the way. Early models had a range of 50 nautical miles, but the later ones could reach out to 130 nm.

https://en/wikipedia.org/wiki/RIM-8_Talos

Only large cruisers had the space for a Talos installation. Three World War II-era heavy cruisers were reconstructed at great expense to be double-ended Talos ships with launchers both fore and aft. The Albany (CG 10) was the lead ship, followed by the Chicago (CG 11) and the Columbus (CG 12).

Not only were the Albany class double-ended, they also had twin-arm Tartar launchers on either side of the forward superstructure. Additionally, they had two 5-inch guns added as an afterthought. The Tartar launchers and the guns are tough to see in the clutter of equipment in photos.

They were converted in the early 1960s and served until around 1980. Of note, during the Vietnam war, there were a couple of occasions when a Talos-equipped cruiser shot down a North Vietnamese aircraft from well offshore.

I always thought the Albany class were among the most impressive-appearing cruisers with their very tall superstructures and tall macks (mast/stack combined).
Attached Images

3798j11686.00