View Single Post
      12-13-2023, 10:10 AM   #11
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
Im a pretty educated guy and didn't expect to have a debate about this but the material is not designed to trap heat, it actually is a radiator to pull the heat out of the surface it is over, not reflect it like a fire suit or foil.
If not for a healthy and constructive arguments, then what purpose does this thread serve?

And it is not a radiator. It literally is designed to trap heat within the turbine casing. It fits loosely around the turbine casing, leaving air pockets everywhere and is made of poor heat conductive material. If your goal was to reduce under the hood temperatures, then that would imply that you need a remote fin stack somewhere to dissipate that heat, or you engine bay would get even hotter, if it was a radiator or a heat sink. All the material in their website support that claim.

Quote:
If you look at the science of this and what PTP has done to prove this, plus the fact that they have so many people behind them on all types of turbos, if there was a sign that their blankets ruined Turbo's, I am sure you would see posts or comments or information out there, and I have seen none, nor have I had a failure on anything I have used them for either
I looked at the study posted in their website, conducted by University of Texas. This was a single study, performed on just one engine design. Extrapolating that data across the board would be wildly erroneous. Not to mention that their tests were done in ambient air test cell, not a hot engine bay environment, which accounts for significant temperature deltas and thus convective losses. Also, they failed to model the internal temperatures, and only relied on oil outlet temperature, which is not an accurate indicator without a temperature model. Inlet-outlet temperature differences are hugely affected by flow rates and mediums capacity to transfer heat at those specific rates. Components themselves can be considerably hotter.

To be honest, I haven't seen many turbo failure analysis at all where failure modes have been precisely attributed. So lack of statistical analysis is not a confirmation of any kind.

Quote:
This is just a topic of agree to disagree
I'm not here to disagree with people or shut down their ideas. My goal is to look at these things from all angles; be it either good or bad. I'd like people to make up their own mind based on highest quality data available for application. Unfortunately, I see a glaring lack of (application specific) data to support the claims made.
Appreciate 2