Thread: Navy thread
View Single Post
      12-14-2023, 10:33 AM   #286
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Having introduced the PLA Nay's surface combatants, I suppose I could cause eyes to glaze over with a more general look at the Chinese navy, which is now by some measures the largest in the world.

Submarines

The PLA Navy has 7 ballistic missile submarines in service, with several more building. As with other navies, these are strategic in nature -- probably the most survivable components of Chinese strategic nuclear forces.

There are 9 nuclear attack submarines in service, with at least 2 more under construction.

The conventional attack submarine force numbers about 100 boats. The latest Yuan class (17 boats and more coming) has an air-independent propulsion system added to its Diesel-electric powerplant; these are probably extremely quiet boats. The bulk of the force is Russian-built Kilo class submarines with about 65 units in service. Conventional submarines lend themselves well to operations in the Western Pacific and Chinese home waters.

Aircraft carriers

There are two older modified ex-Soviet design aircraft carriers in service. These operate Chinese-built J-15 Flanker fighters and helicopters. The Flanker is a large, heavy fighter and not ideal for carrier operations. These two carriers use a ski jump arrangement to launch the J-15s but have arresting gear for landings.

A new carrier is in the final stages of construction. It is far larger -- almost as large as the American supercarriers -- and has three catapults. The key advantage there is that this carrier will be able to operate other varieties of aircraft. The most important of these is probably the KJ-600 carrier-capable radar plane, which extends the radar horizon of the carrier/fleet and is being tested. A new J-35 fighter with some stealth characteristics is also in test.

I think most observers would guess that China will ultimately build nuclear-powered aircraft carriers on a par with those of the U.S.

Surface Combatants

Refer to the earlier post for cruisers, destroyers, frigates and corvettes.

There are also some smaller defense-oriented craft such as fast attack missile boats.

Amphibious Warfare Ships

Given the concern over a Chinese attack on Taiwan, this is an important area, and the PLAN is building some capable amphibious assault ships, including large helicopter carriers and smaller landing ships. (Note, of course, that an amphibious assault of Taiwan would not require a long range attack.)

Auxiliary Ships

A well-balanced Navy needs a number of auxiliary ships to support the striking or defensive power of the fleet. One critical type is the underway replenishment ship to allow the fleet to remain at sea for sustained operations. The PLAN has several large UNREP ships; the Fuyu class displaces 45,000 tons fully loaded. They also have a number of smaller oilers and stores ships.

Chinese intelligence collection ships number about nine and have been seen operating off Japan and as far afield as Australia.

Supporting the submarine force are six submarine support ships and four submarine rescue ships. If press reports are to be believed, the PLAN has had their share of submarine disasters and the rescue ships have likely earned their keep.

Naval Aviation

In addition to the carrier-based J-15 fighters (and future carrier aircraft) mentioned above, the PLA Navy had a large number of other aircraft.

There are both large and medium helicopters. The large Z-8 helos are copies of a French design, and the medium Z-9 helos used on surface combatants are license-built Eurocopter AS365s used for antisubmarine and utility duties.

The PLA Navy Air Force also has land-based H-6 (Tupolev Tu-16-derived) aircraft with anti-ship missiles and various turboprop patrol and intelligence collection aircraft. Some land-based Flanker fighters are also Navy aircraft.

40-50 years ago, I kept track of all this professionally, but when I compare the PLA Navy of then to that of 2023, I feel a bit like I should be a retired Navy sailmaker or carpenter. The PLA Navy has come a very long way!
Attached Images

JJ 911SC23030.50
3798j11686.00