View Single Post
      03-07-2024, 03:58 PM   #6
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramezza View Post
I didn't buy my car for the fuel economy. Far from it, I took a calculated risk. Smiles Per Gallon as opposed to Miles Per Gallon, as they say.

But f*ck me, I was expecting more than 12mpg to/from work.

Any tips? (ie when to use sport / comfort / adaptive / eco etc)?

I've done a search online but many tips around the driving modes are specific to different models, fuel types, nature of journey and even country. For what it's worth my longest journey is about 7 miles each way for work, in 30mph roads (with occasional traffic), in the UK in my 750i.

And like I said, I wasn't expecting miracles, but expected better, hence me asking.

With the type of driving you're doing, it sounds like you don't get to steady state operating temps or cruising speeds...and that's going to be hard to overcome. Still, you should be able to bump that up to the mid teens with a few basic things you can control.

Obviously try not to drive like a lead foot all the time.

If you're letting the car idle excessively, consider not doing that.

Better anticipate need for braking/accelerating/coasting...you want to avoid the harsh inputs. If you need to game-ify it, keep the live mpg meter displayed with your gauges, and try to keep it above the line marking your current average, especially once up to speed after a stop.

And I would forget about the drive modes and leave it in regular comfort during your commute. There is maybe a little to be gained from Eco, but for me that's a bigger difference on the highway and hilly roads. Sport will give you the best acceleration and worst mpg.

And if that doesn't work, mash the gas and smile
Appreciate 1