05-01-2024, 04:39 PM   #98
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
This is what I agree with. My point is that to say BMW is getting worse while competitors are getting better is a ridiculous statement to make.

You still can have specialness in BMW - I find my G80 to absolutely be special and gives me joy every time I take it out. Fun factor is there 10/10. The ability to row my own gears, paired with a twin turbo S58 which builds power progressively and with the satisfaction similar to a naturally aspirated motor, and steering/handling which inspires me to want to take corners aggressively. In fact I just picked up my daughter from school and took the M3 out and it was an absolute delight.

I also previously owned an m340i and that was more consistent with what you're describing - it's fast but not necessarily "fun". But then again, nothing else in the same class as the m340i is any more fun.

Fair enough man, enjoyed the banter! I will say I do really respect that bmw puts a stick in the g80. And despite some of my complaints - I'm someone who wants a manual sedan from within the last 10 years. My only options are the M3, and the Blackwing twins. So while I laud competitors like Alfa, they aren't going the extra mile.

I have a friend with a 330i thp msport, which, aside from the engine, is identical to an m340i. It is nowhere near as satisfying as honestly even the F chassis cars. I have some, but not tons of time in a G80 though I actually did enjoy the F80 I drove a lot.

I think, and I'm curious how you feel, that where BMW suffered the most is in the basic cars. That c&d test where a 430i xdrive vs a stinger and a5 and the 4 series got last... brutal. I love this article so much - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-65-1-roa0813/ - and perfectly encapsulated my thoughts. I highly reccomend this video on youtube too (Zygrene, the creator, is awesome) -

You used to have a base 325i or 330i and it'd be still be a good sport sedan. I'm now in the place where I choose Hyundai products (g70) or base ct4's on a 330i.. and it makes me a bit depressed. And that's where my frustration lies too... okay, the g80 is good, and it's 90k. Normal-ish people can afford a 3 series, but you've got to really be doing well to make an M3. And that's sad.
Appreciate 1