STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Good question. Given the timelines of the major manufacturers, I'd guess less than 10 years for autonomous vehicles. Once that happens, it will take over urban markets pretty quickly. Given the speed and safety improvements, areas of the city, beginning with the center and moving successively outward, will ban driver operated vehicles. I also see the introduction of autonomous long haul trucking. Lots of money to be saved.

I see a mix of autonomous fleets, autonomous individual owned, driver-driven electric, and legacy IC cars for quite a while. It will also depend on where you live - city, burbs, exurbs, or rural.

There are also built in biases from manufacturers. Of course BMW wants everyone to have an individually owned car. But once people are not driving them, cars will get commoditized pretty quickly.

To see what the markets think of the autonomous driving future, take a look at NVIDIA (NVDA) one of the leaders in autonomous technology among other GPU end uses. Look at the 2 year and five year charts.

The implications of this switch are enormous in a host of dimensions- which companies will survive, employment in the auto and related sectors from auto and parts manufacturing to professional drivers (truck, delivery, can), to public health, to infrastructure. This is a big deal.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
Speaking just in the USA, you make no mention of the US DOT. I think everyone is missing this component of the implementation. I think autonomous transportation is several decades (at least 3) away if it is ever implemented. You mentioned "ban". Ban has many implications related to personal freedom of movement. Other than the massive technological hurdles to overcome, the legal issues are just as large to overcome.
Btw-several US cities have already banned cars from the city center, only allowing buses. The US is a country that passed a law preventing suits against gun manufacturers and barring the health authorities from investigating the public health effects of gun violence. The regulatory authorities do what they're told.
Appreciate 0