View Single Post
      01-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #21
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Audi A8 for one and tentatively other VAG products. GM might not make it for 2018, but they are close.

The VAG system does have LIDAR, yep.

Yes, the driver of a Level 3 autonomous car must be ready to take over since, by definition, the vehicle can only function autonomously in some situations.

At any rate, clearly there is a progression of technology already in motion here with real results being shown. So it would be interesting to hear, from those who think its going to hit a brick wall (pun intended), about when and how that will take place. Doomsday predictions are a dime-a-dozen and accountability in that area tends to be low as you may have noticed. Actual reasoned arguments for how and why failure is imminent are few and far between.

Oh, and for the record, I don't necessarily stand in alignment with what the OP said. There are social and political forces that go beyond technology and those are tough to model for. I personally intend to buy an electric car as soon as range anxiety is dealt with to my satisfaction, and to my admittedly untrained hobbyist eye, that appears set to happen long before the autonomous ride share model "takes over".
Why is it, that any time someone confronts fantasy land on BP they are played off as 'doomsday' predictors or laggards to technology advancement? Any time someone naysays Tesla they are likened to a caveman... but how did Model 3 sales do in 2017? lol Same thing with autonomous cars and such. I have no vested interest for or against autonomous EVs and such, but I've consulted in this realm for the past 4-5 years (ever since it's been taking off as a real topic).

Yes, Audi is coming out with a new A8 in 2018 as a 2019 model. However, the tech used for L3 in that car is still unproven and will likely not be an option to even pick from. Audi hasn't even gotten regulatory approvals to allow this tech for use on the roads. Customer sentiment is super low for this type of tech. This will not be cheap so how many people will be comfortable paying big bucks for something they don't really trust. On top of all of that, Audi is unclear whether or not they will be liable if an accident happens during the 10 sec transition period between L3 and Driver (these are the asterisks I was eluding to).

Anyone have any actual examples of soon-to-be production cars with L3+ tech? The audi is just a bunch of sensors emulating AI, no real AI has been developed enough to throw on a car.

Besides, the OP was eluding to L5 cars and a fantasy land like iRobot.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17316.50