06-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
So what, they should stop producing all series but the 3 and 5 so that the M badge can stay focused ? Brand expands, markets expands , thus M expands. Besides you don't even know what they're hiding there yet so why the hate on the M ? People have just become too overexpecting i guess. There's bound to be a limit somewhere someday

Car is looking good in that color btw
He is right they are diluting the brand.

There used to be very specific criteria to obtain an M badge. All that criteria is quickly being thrown out the window. Especially with the X6 and X5 M's.

A few years ago BMW refused to put an M badge on the X5 4.8i even though it came close to an M car. Now they will put an M badge on just about anything except for cars that should get one like the new Z4 or the 1 series! There should be a 1 series M before an M7.

A few years ago many articles were written on how AMG has become just an add on package, you could get a bicycle with an AMG logo on it, instead of what it used to be. The AMG name has lost a ton of meaning in my book.

M cars used to be cars that were built to be an M, and while I still believe BMW does more work and research on their M cars then MB does on the AMG cars, it has got to the point that everything can be an M now.

M is truly turning into MARKETING not MOTORSPORT.

There is no reason you cant put M like tuning in an X6 or X5 or the new 7, I just think that they dont deserve the M badge.

As for M sport add ons, I dont care about that put them on all the cars you want, M-tech is a great thing, they can make cars look fantastic, but they still dont deserve an M on the boot.