View Single Post
      06-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #93
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Looks a lot better than the leaked photos that were posted earlier! M Sport is the way to go as always. Just a shame that M Sport still retains the terrible hockey stick along the side.

Overall I think it will do well in its first year or so as early adopters pick it up but I just don't think BMW went far enough with this design. As a result, it will likely only appeal to existing owners -- if you want the ultimate expression in BMW style, the 6 GC is still the way to go.

I have a feeling that the G11 won't age well as it's essentially an evolution of the F01 which is already dated. Even the interior design didn't go far enough. Audi claims the next-gen A8 will have multiple displays similar to the Prologue concept, with very few physical buttons. I was hoping the new 7er would go this route too, especially since scott26 mentioned a secondary display for the front passenger.

Equally disappointing, the preview posted at Car and Driver mentions that the US market won't get the standard wheelbase version -- long wheelbase only. The gesture control only worked "1/3 of the time" in their preview vehicle, and things like the self parking won't be offered in the US either.

Overall while the new G11 is nice, ultimately I don't think it will change the status quo for BMW in this segment.
We will see the secondary screen it is important to keep the more important stuff for last.

Get used to the Hockey stick as BMW have addressed criticism that current air breathers look stuck on so now combine the breather with additional trim so it looks less stick on than before. You will see this on many forthcoming BMWs.
Such as this render of the next generation 4er.
Attached Images