View Single Post
      02-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #45
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Just got the new Car and Driver... their long-term Cayman S cost something like $3,400 in regular maintenance over 40k mile vs. under $700 for their C7. Of course it can be done more cheaply by avoiding the dealer (my parents just spend like $3k+ at the dealer for their '07 base Cayman for basic maintenance and brakes, plus another $800 for TPMS sensors... at like 26k miles) but it will still be multiples more than an S2000. Spark plugs on mine cost me $40 and 15-20 minutes. Oil changes are 5qts of synthetic and a $12 filter (you don't even get a dipstick on the Cayman, so good luck). Front brake rotors are $50 shipped from Amazon. Tires are 16" or 17". It's a different world of maintenance costs.

You probably don't care about this, but strangely, gas mileage won't be noticeably better on the S2k though. 4k rpm at 73mph = pretty mediocre mileage for such a small car and engine.
Thank you sir. MPG I don't care much about. In an interesting twist a buddy of mine who does a lot of HPDE's and SCCA events is pushing me to seriously consider a Miata. Obviously no power, but they are fun to drive and parts are dirt cheap and the wife would probably like it...

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest but probably worth considering.

Cayman and S2000 are probably still topping the list at this point. I'm driving a local Cayman on Saturday so that will tell me if I've got fit issues due to my height.