09-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #40
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
So my daughter is 6, going on 7, she is usually pretty distracted, doesn't listen, usual stuff. Nothing really mental or disruptive.

So she has an agenda (diary) which comes back and forth.

So yesterday her teacher put a note in, advising that ML had been swinging the class ruler around her head, ignoring the teachers requests, then smacking it against the desk, finally bending it and breaking it.

When I saw the note my first reaction was too laugh and think damn I've done that. But seriously, where talking about 6 year olds, I know what I got up to when I was 6, or at least I was told.

But jeez between everyday homework, piano (which I teach her) her "activities" sports such as hockey and swimming, I gotta feel a tad sad for her. When I was 6 all I remember about school, was playing in the sandbox, pulling little girls pigtails and going home to play on my bike.

She goes to some stupid French Immersion school (against my better judgment) and she has been in some private schools, you know helicopter mums and the such.

Doctors checked her out and said, "Yep she's just a normal 6 year old" so I'm happy with that.

So now I gotta try and keep a straight face and dole out some punishment in front of mom.

Anyone else got kids in the same age zone ?
Too much. Kid needs to be a kid...get in trouble and learn boundaries naturally. Helicopter parents (doesn't sound like you) trying to get their 7/8 year olds into Harvard....

I take my 5 year to the beach for 2 hours twice a week......and he plays pirates...thinks he is a dolphin...a turtle....we look for buried treasure and find sticks that are swords!

Gotta have free play......kids today are TOO organized with not enough imagination.