View Single Post
      11-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #14
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

I know you bought a card already but you are likely to buy another at some point in the future and for the other folks reading this I want to make two relevant points.

1. What camera are you using and what is its max buffer transfer speed/rate?

Let's say your camera writes to a memory card at 40mb per second. You will want a memory card that will allow for at least that speed/rate. Is it a waste of money to buy a faster card? That depends but Probably not.

I use a card reader when downloading the files onto my computer and I don't want to wait any longer than I have to. Also I am using cards I bought years ago that were originally purchased for a previous (slower) camera. I'm glad I bought the fastest/largest cards because my file sizes more then tripled and smaller cards would be useless in the new camera. I didn't need to invest in cards twice just because I upgraded my camera body.

2. What type of shooting do you and is important to you that you buy a fast card?

If you are shooting landscapes exclusively or doing product photography I see no need for fast write speeds. However just like the sports shooters you will be downloading large files and if you shoot raw format you may not want to wait to be able to transfer and start editing.

Either way don't buy cheap cards unless your photos are not important to you. I would hate to spend $3k on a trip somewhere and save $20 on a memory card on some off brand and then lose all my photos from the trip when the card is corrupted.

I mostly use Sandisk extreme CF and SD cards including micro SD cards for a GoPro.
Most modern DSLR's have large files and if you own a DSLR you should be shooting raw and editing the files. If not then sell it and buy a point and shoot cause you wasted your money on a camera you aren't using features on that give it its value.

32GB cards are about the Min size I buy at this point. It gets me 400 photos from my D800