04-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #49
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Umm, dude! What are you smoking? Or what drugs are you on? Or are you one of those utter BMW fanboys? BMW is playing catch up. The new S class is almost 300 lbs lighter than the previous S class without CFRP, though it would be interesting to see the weight comparison between the new 7 and the S. The S can park itself, drive itself, has magic body control and what not. It also is already available as a S63 AMG and S65 AMG, which BMW most likely will not be able to compete with.
How about we start with a weight comparison of the current cars? The existing 7-Series starts at 4344lbs. The lightest S-class weighs 4678. So the 7-Series, for all the "it's a fat pig" rhetoric that's been spewed ad nauseam, already weighs over 300lbs less than the S-class. Now shave 300lbs off the 7-Series (450lbs without new content previously unavailable added back in), and you have a vehicle that weighs about 600lbs less than a comparable S-class. That's pretty significant. As for whether BMW will create an M7 to compete with the AMG's, I wish they would too, but if we can get a 600hp+ Alpina B7 and an even more lightweight 500hp+ M770 (or whatever BMW calls the M Performance model), I think we'll be doing ok.
Appreciate 0