View Single Post
      04-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #53
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

As a further update, I looked at a couple of 997.1 911s locally, both for sale by the same guy, a 2006 S and a 2008 4S. They were in good shape cosmetically but with lots of deferred maintenance and poor service records. I decided to pass on both.

Further discussions with the 1999 C4 996 owner and a change in my own schedule will allow me to make a 1 day trip to SF and to drive back to Idaho this weekend. The car has been well maintained by an enthusiast owner, and he is having some upgrades (new double DIN head unit, shifter and knob and handbrake cover and center console upgrades) done for me this week that he had bought the parts for but not gotten around to doing. The PPI is today. The colors are unusual (dark blue metallic and full leather light interior) and the price is right given the condition. Mileage is just under 60K factoring in the drive from SF to Idaho. Rear Main Seal and clutch were replaced under extended warranty 20K miles ago. With the double row IMS bearing in the 1999s, the risk of failure is sub 1%. Nearly new Michelin PSS tires installed in January before the owner decided he'd rather have a cabriolet after his move to the Bay Area.

This won't be the hottest Porsche on the road but should be a lot of fun to drive, with a refreshed cabin interior. Granted, it has the fried egg headlights :-) At just over $20K all in with work to be done, I think it's a good deal.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!
Appreciate 0