View Single Post
      01-28-2024, 02:17 PM   #1
pesik
Macedonia
Rep
Drives: F01 730d

F01 N57 overcharging issue, hot battery jumper terminal

Hello everyone,

I recently did a timing chain job on my F01 730d 2010, and since the car had not been started in about 10 days, the battery was dead. I jump started it, the car runs and drives perfectly, and about a week later I got a message "battery not being charged". The next time I went to start the car - the battery was dead again. I opened the hood and I saw that the positive jumper terminal nut is loose and all the red plastic around it was slightly melted. I cleaned the remains of the plastic, sprayed a bit of contact spray and I tightened the nut (not with a torque wrench, but its pretty tight). Jump started the car again and it has been okay since then, no messages, no dead battery issue, but it is charging 15.3V since then, I dont know if it was lower before. And the plastic cap on the jump terminal is still getting hot, you can not touch the nut with your hand.
Is 15.3 volts too high, or is the intelligent battery system compensating for the dead battery? What could be the issue with the hot jumper terminal? Its hot all the time while the car is running.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0