View Single Post
      09-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

My understanding of insurance coverages is if the car is moving the claim would be filed under collision. If the car was not moving it would be filed under comprehensive. I've never seen insurance rates go up for claims under comprehensive; unless you have a few of them. At that point, the insurance company is probably going to assess that you're living in an area at higher risk of having random crap happening to your parked car.

With claims under collision, that's where your rates can go up regardless of who was at fault. I asked my insurance, State Farm, about a similar situation. I drove through a crap job patch in the road which you couldn't tell there was a distinct lip between the shitty patch and the rest of the asphalt road unless you were standing right above it. I drove through it at about 35-40 MPH and I thought I was going to have a bent wheel. My agent said because the car was moving it would be a collision claim and basically said it's not worth filing (depending on the amount of damage) in relation to the ding it would have on my insurance record. Fortunately, no damage.
Appreciate 0