View Single Post
      02-05-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Is CompTIA security needed if I already hold a clearance?

I switched over to data systems tech in the reserves so I'm not entirely new to networking or computer repair. The CompTIA courses have been super easy, but still not a bad refresher as some things the military doesn't cover are in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dut View Post
Yes, you will need S+ working on/in a DOD IT/Computer environment no matter what clearance(s) you possess.

Also, if you go for CCNA do the two-part CCENT path (two tests to get full CCNA). Instructors say it's 50% easier than straight taking the CCNA.
I don't see why CompTIA security would be required to work in any classified environment (to include DoD) even if you're on the IT staff. I've never run across this requirement in the long career I've had working at various Federal agencies. One of the security certifications I've seen that has value depending on your job role is a CISSP. If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get.

I worked on, designed, implemented, and O&M'd some highly secure systems/networks in my time as a Federal contractor cleared passed a TS/SCI. I don't possess a CompTIA security cert. If there are security policy questions or concerns, you're trained to go to someone on the IT security staff. In my case, this individual is called an ISSM. But when you're designing or making changes to an existing system, you're supposed to board these things anyway for review.
Appreciate 0