View Single Post
      02-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
ElSenor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' AW/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I left Fed contracting work in 2011. So things may have changed. I have a friend who is a manager over in one of the DoD organizations. I'll ask him for verification. I can tell you for sure, outside of the DoD, this requirement is non existent.

In regards to the CISSP comment, you're putting words in my mouth. As it appears the DoD is the only Federal agency which requires a minimum of a CompTIA security or equivalent commercial certification for IT staff with privileged access. I haven't seen other agencies spelling out this type of certification as a requirement for hire in various job openings. I have seen CISSP thrown around as a desired certification. Point being, you're more marketable if you want to go down the security track with a CISSP.

Putting words in your mouth?

I was just using your logic in a Sec+ vs. CISSP. You did say: "If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get."

I should've been clearer about GOV and specified it's a DoD requirement.

No one is disagreeing with you about Sec+ NOT being a requirement in the public sector.

OP mentioned he wanted to be a Network guy. I simply said the other CompTIA certificates weren't worth it, but if he wanted to work in the GOV sector, he should get Sec+.

Wrecker335d, bottom line: If you want to work in the DoD/GOV sector on the network, you need at least Sec+. CISSP is great, but unless you get someone else to vouch for you and you have job experience, it won't happen. If you don't want to be in the DoD/GOV sector, then by all means ignore what dut and I have said.

Here is an example of a GOV Network job that doesn't require a clearance or Sec+:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewD.../#btn-add-info

Last edited by ElSenor; 02-05-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0