02-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSenor View Post
Putting words in your mouth?

I was just using your logic in a Sec+ vs. CISSP. You did say: "If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get."

I should've been clearer about GOV and specified it's a DoD requirement.

No one is disagreeing with you about Sec+ NOT being a requirement in the public sector.

OP mentioned he wanted to be a Network guy. I simply said the other CompTIA certificates weren't worth it, but if he wanted to work in the GOV sector, he should get Sec+.

Wrecker335d, bottom line: If you want to work in the DoD/GOV sector on the network, you need at least Sec+. CISSP is great, but unless you get someone else to vouch for you and you have job experience, it won't happen. If you don't want to be in the DoD/GOV sector, then by all means ignore what dut and I have said.

Here is an example of a GOV Network job that doesn't require a clearance or Sec+:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewD.../#btn-add-info
I said the words you quoted because in the spaces I've worked outside of DoD, I've never seen anyone ask for a Sec+ cert. I have seen CISSP. So the logic is why waste time to be as marketable with a wider range of Federal positions if a Sec+ isn't even asked for outside of DoD? You analogy about going straight to a CCIE is invalid as you can find jobs at all Federal agencies which will ask for a CCNA, CCNP and a CCIE.
Appreciate 0