View Single Post
      11-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #47
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctoRx View Post
I'm not saying the sheer number is entirely terrible, though in my town they won't hesitate to go over the top without question. And the gun was pulled on me for grabbing my license and registration. Out of 13 times, two including said incident were for speeding, about 15 over if you think that rushing from one meeting to another warrants a firearm. I'm sure the bright white lab coat meant I was a meth dealer and not a doctor.

In all fairness to the officer it was a bit late at night and I was driving on the more 'affluent' side of town. I'm from FL so every time I get pulled over (or at least before they found out I had two lawyers and made friends with the former police commissioner) it's automatically assumed my car is stolen or I'm a dealer because I'm pretty young. Once he realized I was lost he put his weapon away and gave me directions.

And had you freaked out and yelled "What are you doing? Don't shoot me!", and scared the cop, he might have shot you. Then the narrative from many here would be what you did to to deserve it.

The fact of the matter is that you probably didn't deserve to be stopped in the first place. And many don't understand that is natural for minorities who have been stopped for bs to be a little "akward", which puts the cop on higher alert.

A good book for everyone here to read is a book called "blink". The part about what the cops thought of Amadou Diallo (who was shot 41 times for doing nothing wrong) speaks to heart of the issue. The cops thought Diallo was a "super criminal" because of the fact that he didn't go inside his apt when they drove by. But later they found out that he didn't go inside because he wasn't doing anything wrong and didn't know the "neighboorhood protocol expected by the cops".
Appreciate 2