02-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSenor
CCNP R&S here. Did networking while I was in the military and have been in industry for 4 years. Would say a total of 7 years of actual networking experience.

If you want to work in the GOV sector, Sec+ is worth it. I know you didn't mention it as an available option, just stating that it would be FAR more beneficial than either of the CompTIA certs you did list if you want to work in GOV sector. A+ and Net+ are pretty lame certificate that don't command much in salary. If you don't want to be in the GOV sector, don't bother. GOV sector includes being a GOV employee or a contractor working for the GOV. Sure, I picked up some useful knowledge from Sec+, but I don't need it for what I do.

Not currently chasing any certs as I'm trying to finish up my Bachelor's in Networking and Security.

I see why they have you doing A+, Net+, and Server. I had to take these classes as part of my degree plan as well (except CompTIA server, instead I took Win Server). They were painfully easy, but are designed to bring someone who doesn't know anything about IT up to the point where CCNA isn't such a shock.

Experience is super important in this job. Unfortunately it's tough for new comers because they usually don't have the experience (field) so they get passed up.
Is CompTIA security needed if I already hold a clearance?

I switched over to data systems tech in the reserves so I'm not entirely new to networking or computer repair. The CompTIA courses have been super easy, but still not a bad refresher as some things the military doesn't cover are in there.