View Single Post
      01-24-2024, 05:36 PM   #7
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn216 View Post
I don't follow that logic of expecting to get less than the EPA city rating with the V12, while expecting better than it with the V8...especially when with the X7 you average better than rated. Assuming your commute and driving style would be pretty much the same, you should expect a similar spread relative to the EPA's city test.

Just because I love numbers, I put some numbers to it: That X7 is rated at 15MPG (which is 6.67gal/100mi) on the EPA's City test cycle...If you're averaging 17MPG (5.88gal/100mi) based on your driving style and your own "city cycle" route of your commute, you're 11.8% (on gal/100mi basis) more efficient that EPA rating projected. Again, assuming all that changes is the vehicle you're driving, apply that same logic to the EPA's published city data for the B7 and M760 for the same model year, I estimate you'd average about 19MPG with the B7 and about 15 with the M760. On a percentage basis, it's a significant difference but both would still be labeled as "poor." My initial guess of both being in the teens holds water.

I don't know where you're located, but I'm in Ohio and the average cost of premium today is $3.989/gal. For comparison's sake that makes the cost of that 15 mile commute: $3.52 in the X7, $3.11 in the B7, and $4.06 in the M760.
I haven't tried to go that deep by doing the math, but thank u for doing it this is very useful. Honestly it was just the mental aspect that makes u think a car with 12-15 MPG avg is much worse gas wise than cars in the 16-20 mpg avg range. But, really, both are poor MPG wise I agree. I like the styling of the B7 better but I'd love the exclusivity and driving experience of the V12 in the M760.

If am worried about gas, I can just keep driving my Model S, lol, but that is not a factor when buying cars at this price point.
Appreciate 0