11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Well written response, but sorry I don't buy the Cool-Aid. What your describing is NOT the current "demand" for autonomous electric cars, but rather the postulated hyperbole narrative based upon consultant's calculated hypothetical data.

I've been to the conventions and sat at the table with Silicon valley professors and even participated in the workshops. There are so many holes in their economic models that are easy to see through (if you have eyes to see). Just the 5G network and infrastructure rework alone are major obstacles, without even mentioning the tax payers will be asked to pay for the infrastructure and network upgrades.

Oh, and did they tell you about the health effects of 5G? I thought not. Like I said, I don't buy it. It's a bunch of utopian world view hype in my opinion. I just don't agree with either the postulated economic models, the maturity of America's infrastructure, the supposed adoption rate, nor the safety of the technology. Even air planes have Pilots and a CoPilot - yet airplanes also have Auto-Pilot. The Elite will remove your (Americans) right to travel free and unmolested on the land by outlawing traditional driving for the little people. You will be the Guinea Pigs in their grand experiment.
A well written response. I'm in the air traffic surveillance business and work with the DOT on a daily basis on the FAA's NextGen initiative. It is my well informed opinion that the DOT will take decades just to draft the rules and standards for autonomous driving. Additionally, the cost to truly develop a fail-safe system to lessen the accident death rate below what it is currently will take an enormous amount of funding that right now is used for more humanitarian purposes (which is a growing part of the federal budget). As the system is developed and autonomous crashes begin killing passengers in both autonomous cars and human-driven cars, the solution will not be more and better technology but rather less cars on the roads moving at a far less average speed. The result will be government power over citizens ability to freely move about the country at their own will. Uber, Lyft, et.al. allow this unabated movement of citizens. Government controlled autonomous pods will not. To equate the autonomous pod transporting people to that what is now the Uber-type service is a false economic/market analogy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00