View Single Post
      03-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi Bigladuk, good questions, looking forward to seeing what others post and their own thoughts on this!

I'm currently on 18" rims, so have same size tires all round, not offset as not a problem to do that...bigger rims may mean one has to do offset sizing.

I'm looking to get a set of larger Summer alloys and tires in a month or so, then put Winter tires on the current 18s next Winter. A costly solution but the best of all worlds excepting costs.

If I had a set of 19s or 20s (alloys), I'd likely just swap over tires as needed and use the same rims as they look good and would be a good compromise without excessive costs.

It will be interesting to see if any or quite a few people with the G series 7 do use Winter tires or if they do the usual, Summers will be fine all year long approach that one sees in other models (where potentially the budget and aesthetic are different in priority to those with 7's).

So, hoping I'll be 18s with same size all round Winters this coming Winter and 19/20/21s with Summers on them for the nicer time of the year (offset sizing due to the larger rim sizing likely). While expensive, it provides the nicest looks for me, good comfort in Winter when the roads may be that bit more jarring and unforgiving and with a higher side wall to help the already great suspension to absorb the knocks and potholes that are typical then more than in Summer. In Summer, have the styling look and not quite rubber bands but less forgiving tires on bigger alloys than my current poor man's 18s provide.

What are others doing/considering?

Is the concept different for those with x-drive? (do you just say, I've got 4 wheel so don't need Winters? or would you get some anyway?)

Great topic, what are you thinking of doing Bigladuk?

Hope to see more posts and pics from you in future, great to see another UK based 7 driver. ^