View Single Post
      08-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #17
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
Why should it be useless? It is the exact right way. The Americans & Saudis some people all over the globe can keep their ridiculous big engines and will use less fuel doing so. If you can't re-educate people to use less resources, one has to do it this way.
Don't get me wrong, I l o v e big engines, but in a country with speed limits it is as much overkill as a Machine Gun in a bar fight. I hope no one is offended, just replying to above comment.

The hydrogen car will come as soon as very important people with tons of money will allow it.

It is another fine piece of engeniering presented by BMW. This is what makes me enjoy working for them.
Hybrid technology seems pretty useless in terms of the overall energy picture. Think of all the extra energy and resources it takes to build a hybrid car versus a straight up gasoline or diesel vehicle. Now think about much people will really drive this vehicle. Do you think it will actually recover the extra energy required to produce it in fuel savings?

The other issue is this... even with the hybrid technology on the V8 cars, the 3.0 liter diesel motor is still much more fuel efficient and way simpler to produce and I believe produces few grams of CO2 per km. And, on top of all that and drawing on the previous point, has polluted the earth less in production.

Hybrids are a waste of time, in my opinion. We should be pushing diesel technology in North America much more and also working towards the hydrogen combustion engines and hydrogen fuel cells as an alternate.

Think of these topics in terms of "Energy rate of return."
Appreciate 0