View Single Post
      10-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #77
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
The only entertainment for me was watching Putin finally show up for the race at lap 39 like a boss. I guess he was too busy taking Barry to the woodshed all morning to show up on time. Then he stands up there on the podium with no tie on, looking like a real life Bond villian. Haha.
Hehe, guy definitely has some swagger. Don't think we'll see Obama doing parade laps in F1 car any time soon.

Was fun watching Lewis snub Putin of the handshake in the weigh-in room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery.BMW View Post
To my opinion, you are partially correct ...
I grew up in Latvia (former USSR republic) but moved to USA in 1997 when I turned 18. My dad was Latvian and my mom is Russian. Half my extended family are Latvians, with pretty strong political views, other side is Russian's, so I get to hear opinions on both sides.

I remember how suppressed Latvian culture and language were during the soviet times. While by no means I approve of any discrimination against ethnic Russian populace in either Latvia or Ukraine, I think politics of the pre-90s USSR have a lot to do with current affairs.

I watch Russian news on satellite TV as well as western media. It's amazing how polarized and contradictory media coverage from both sides is. I would not be surprised if both sides distribute decent amount of deliberate disinformation.

It's beyond sad that regular decent people are caught in the cross-fire of this geo-political battle. Both sides are equally responsible for this mess and there will not be any long-term winners.

That said, I'll take US Government over Russian government any day. The disregard for human rights and government suppression of political opinions and free speech in Russia is beyond alarming. While Putin has major balls and is rather charismatic with his bravado, he's a lying, power abusing dictator if I ever saw one.

P.S. If only our president had some balls ...
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0