07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You have not presented even the slightest hint of a reasoned analysis as to how this could all play out. If every single ICE powered vehicle today were going to be replaced by an EV equivalent in only ten years, that would mean that a transition plan must already be in place. However, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that this is the case.

How about this? Let's take a simple example - we'll use the Ford F150 - and list out year-by-year what will power that vehicle from today in 2017 up to 2027 when you claim the ICE will be dead.

2017 - 2.7L V6 Turbo, 3.5L V6, 3.5L V6 Turbo, 5.0L V8
2018 - 2.7L V6 Turbo, 3.3L V6, 3.5L V6 Turbo, 5.0L V8, 3.0L V6 diesel
2027 - all electric motors! Yay, the planet is saved!

Kindly fill in the blanks with your predictions. Please enlighten us.
I tried to tell you in my previous post.
We have a very different view of the world, and our two countries have two very different view and culture about the car and itīs industry.
And basically, the environment as a whole.
And that - for me is what makes for an interesting discussion.

Now, letīs keep it clean, iīm not a very green guy, i just happen to enjoy our EV (iīve only driven the i3). It sure has it drawbacks, and iīm not seeing the EV as a world savior. But perhaps as one of the tools, to make for a more clean and better world.

Letīs look at some numbers first.
In Norway, all transport (air, sea and land) currently stand for about 25% off all pollution, thatīs domestic numbers. and the car and vehicles in general, again is responsible for about 30% of these numbers.
And since we live way up north - we have cold winters, which means the air within our biggest cities are far from ideal. This in combination with early EV industry, and a general green government, makes for very EV friendly taxes and politics.

And as i said earlier, Norway has said it will not be sold ICE powered cars in Norway after 2025. Itīs a statement, i do not think itīs going to happen until 2030, as German and Belgium also have said.
But this is only new cars, surely there will be ICE cars for decades to come. If not taxes are active used on gas and diesel prices that is.
Now this is within Norway and perhaps some part of the EU. I donīt think America will have these goals, it all depends on politics. But i predict after this period, a shift is needed.
You guys can embrace old tech and close your eyes, or you can look at the new tech as a possibility.

What drew me to BMW, was the E30 and itīs brilliant M30 engine (325i), my first BMW. A car i still love to this day, and i love to own one in the future.

But after owning and driven the i01 (i3) these past 9 months, going back to a diesel or any ICE drivetrain, and transmission - feels extremely inefficient, outdated and stupid.
The efficiency of a Electric engine is about 92%, the diesel about 38-40%, the petrol engine is about 25%.

Now as for your Q, filling in the blanks, thatīs the beauty. We do not have these giant cars, this is EU, we have pretty much only 1.0-2.0l engines, and smaller cars.
Which means itīs lighter and easier to power.
Surely there will be a blend of different use of EV in cars in the future, and full blown EVīs.
Just look at the just announced Audi A8, with a small Electric engine in itīs transmission, such solutions remains the rest of the ICE lifecycle.

Pretty much the whole world, and the entire car industry is coming to Norway to see how our EV politics works, and how itīs being build up. The world is not ending with the EV, there have been big changes before, and it will be even more changes in the future, and they will come faster, we need to adapt to it.
Appreciate 0