///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984
300 pounds. Yes that is the equivalent of one (big) friend but they have been holding out the carrot of huge weight savings using CFRP for a long time. Looks like on the top of the line BMW that cost is still a limiting factor and saving weight from the heaviest line is still tough. This is not an achievement in engineering that anyone is running around the room giving high 5s about. 300 pounds on that pig. Come on; grandpa needs a lighter 7 series than that.
And if you think about even 130kg isnt that much to talk about audis new A4 drops 100kg but it had around 1500 or 1600 to start with so in percentage, with no cf its even more impressive. And the q7 dropped 300kg! Why bother with cf when if they took an aproach like mazda's new mx5 gram per gram. That would be more efficient than the massive investment in cf. its nothing but bmw marketing bs at its best. First it dropped 200kg (post from scott in another thread) today its 130kg and i bet by the time it rolls of the line its probably 10 or 15 kg heavier than previous gen. I never weighted my previous x3 against my 1st gen x3. They were similar in spec yet the f25 was "45 kg lighter" on paper yet I am sure it was 30 - 40kg heavier. But hey it works. I just ordered my i3 eheh
You do realize the new Q7 is smaller than the old one right? And even with 300kg dropped, it's still similar to the X5 in terms of weight. Audi really has a superb marketing team. They tricked everyone thinking they are making the lightest cars out there, which isn't true.