View Single Post
      07-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #77
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
I have watched the video and I don't understand all the comments that the guy did not hit the brakes. I can clearly see him move his right hand to the front brake before impact. In the slow mo video when he is in the air you can see skid marks of his rear tire. He did not grab a lot of front brake because that would have flipped him or dropped him. That is also why the front of the bike does not dip with the brakes. If you hit the rear brakes hard the front wont dip much on its own.
If he had the rears locked and the fronts brakes applied and you also want him to turn to a safe place all at the same time. That's a lot to do at speed in 1 or 2 seconds.
Going with your assumption of the guy actually braking.

If he knew any better, he would know that to stop a motorcycle you have to use your front brakes as your primary means of slowing the bike. Using the rear brake as the primary method to stop a bike is asking for trouble and it's only a matter of time before he would end up on the pavement. About 80% of the stopping power of a motorcycle's braking is from the front brake. There's a reason why sport bikes have beefy front brakes. The fear of flipping over or having the bike do a "stoppie" is highly unlikely on a cruiser like what that guy is riding due to the rake of the front suspension geometry. I hardly ever use my rear brake. And never use it on the track.

A friend of mine was meeting me at my house so we could go on a ride together. After being about 20 minutes overdue, I finally get a call from him. He said he crashed just outside of my development. I go out and found him on the side of the road just past the entrance to my development. He tells me he missed turning into the entrance and was in the process of doing a U turn when he crashed. He didn't know why. I looked at the skid mark on the pavement. I said you used your rear brake didn't you. He asked how I knew. I pointed to the skid mark and told him you never ever use the rear brake as the primary means to stop your motorcycle.
Appreciate 0