06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #28
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Has anyone had prelex (Presbyopic Lens Exchange) performed?
I think this is what they did for me with cataracts - replacement lens with correction for my astigmatism. I'm a little more than a year out, and so far it has been fantastic. Mostly b/c it corrected the cataracts, but also neat to have good vision w/o needing glasses. I do need readers more than I might have, and it took me about 6 months to get myself trained that now I need the glasses for up close, not far away. They adjusted me to 20/15 and 20/25 so I have some vestigial reading ability w/o readers. I would strongly discourage the 'near-eye/far-eye' approach - this is like wearing your glasses w/ only one lens in, and few people will ever really get used to it (and often, the fix for this comes with a cool pirate patch).

As far as this article - ANY surgeon who cannot tell you what could go wrong with a procedure is reprehensible, really malpractice in most cases. Anybody who guarantees you that it won't go wrong is BS'ing you (there's a difference between unimaginably low chances, and 'it can't happen'). I think this article is rather overdramatic and loose about the facts - can't imagine he got lasik w/o signing some detailed paperwork with risks spelled out. Also don't trust any industry where the manufacturers get to be the main watchdogs for safety (nor do I trust their 'safety data').
Appreciate 0