View Single Post
      10-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #62
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The whole point of BMWi is to be completely different from the standard idea of a conventional BMW. These are not volume cars electrified. But created from the ground up in terms of drivetrain,construction and design.
The concept revealed also has a CFRP structure. As well as full EV and PHEV Range Extender.
And that's part of the problem.
Ever wondered why Tesla sells so many electric cars compared to say the BMW i3?
The Tesla look like and behave like normal cars in regards to space, loading capacity, etc. The BMW i3 does not.

They have decent electrical range. 500+ km NEDC or 350-400 km real world (think winter in scandinavia with heating turned on, summer in spain with full A/C, etc) is more or less a must.
The BMW i3 does not have the range.

FAST CHARGING NETWORK! And by fast I mean 100+ kW.
This is incredibly important. Unless BMW get that it needs real fast charging and some form of partnership with a fast charging network, its electric cars will never succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Its the next phase for BMWi to introduce more family orientated concepts.
Yes! Give me a fully electric 5-series touring size car that also fulfills point 1-3 above and I will change to it from my Tesla in a heartbeat.
Tesla does not make very good cars, but they are the only ones fulfilling 1-3 above...
Appreciate 0