View Single Post
      08-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilesperhour View Post
Currently pay about $67/month with Shelter Insurance for 25/50k full coverage.
I work in the industry.

"Full coverage" is a misnomer. There is no such thing as "Full coverage". There are coverages for different losses, and different amounts of coverage for each loss. People think they have "full coverage" and that ANYTHING can happen and you'll be protected no matter what. This is simply not true.

Your policy will have limits for each covered peril; if you have a loss that exceeds your policy limit, you're on your own- this includes any kind of liability coverage (i.e. if you have $10K property damage liability and rear-end a Civic your probably OK, do it to a '96 McLaren F1 and you're screwed.)

I can't speak to your collision or comprehensive coverage and any language regarding modifications, but typically an insurer won't cover those things if they are damaged in a loss unless you are paying extra premium for them, i.e. you need to declare them to your insurer. My guess is that is what your insurer is referring to.

If your bodily injury coverages are only 25/50 those are waaaaaay too low. The bare minimum I would tell anyone to carry is 100/300. If you have any substantive assets and nail someone from behind with 25/50, you will be losing some of your stuff.

If your car is heavily modified, you can either a) find a specialty insurer that will cover that stuff, b) see if your current insurer will cover it and expect an increase in premium, or c) roll the dice and bite the bullet if you bin the car and that stuff gets damaged.

I would recommend you sit down with an agent and get as much coverage for as much as you can reasonably afford and fully understand what your policy covers. In this day and age, there is no such thing as too much insurance.
Appreciate 1