12-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Anyone ever have difficulty with your dealer when going from run flats to conventional tires?

Service advisor states not able to install conventional tires because car came with run flats. Parts department, however, states able to obtain and sell any tire that fits.

I'm trying to get wheel and tire insurance to replace bubbled run flats with conventional tires, but if I can’t get same now, I'll go through Tire Rack when wheel and tire insurance ends in a month.

Guess I'm wondering if there's any specific rule (BMW's own or otherwise) against dealers installing conventional tires on cars that came with run flats?

Thanks!
I don't know of any rule but I would imagine that they would shy away from fitting 'non standard' tyres.

I actively seek to change the tyres to non run flats given that the comfort is much better and the handling is not much worse.

The decision to move was made when I had a tyre delaminate on the motorway at 65mph and because there were lots of loose parts to the wheel if I drove any further then it would destroy or damage the surrounding areas of the car! I couldn't drive any further on the tyre for obvious reasons which brought me to look at non run flats.
Appreciate 0