07-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #47
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 | N52K | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve zzr View Post
I don't trust any of them, 4 different dealers for Service and repairs, and every time my car came back with a scratch or mark, last time it went in for rear lights lens to be replaced because they fell out! Common problem on F30.
Yeah, there's a bulletin for this issue. First repair was re-install. Second was add windshield adhesive at the body clip and re-install. Third time was replace the whole assembly. Took forever for BMW to make a good part for that repair.
Don't know why they did what they did. That is unfortunate. But please look at it from their perspective too. If they fixed it right, obviously, no issue. But I've seen the handy work of people who have no business taking apart their own cars try to put them together, it usually ends up a much bigger mess. I am not say that is you. I obviously don't know you. But if you were to have broken something, that wouldn't be a warranty matter. Maybe that's what they meant when they were being really rude?
A couple weeks ago, a man stopped by my bay asking where the tow truck driver couple drop off his vehicle and how to manually release the parking brake. I went over to help out. I asked what the issue was. The man said he removed the front fuse panel on E70 because there was a water leak under the dash. He wanted to clean the water out and make sure everything was OK. He asked me why it didn't start anymore like I would know without even looking at his car (I did have a sneaking suspicion which turned out to be correct.) He said the guys on the forums said it just needed to be programmed, I am thinking maybe that meant aligning the DME and the CAS again, something no longer relevant with that vehicle. I did not work on the vehicle but found out the guy lost four fuses, one being for the transmission module. There is a tiny card that tells you where every fuse goes, he didn't use it. Car fired right up after the four fuses were replaced.
Forum people get it wrong too. No one is perfect. It's unfortunate that we have to rely on others to fix things we cannot do ourselves. I'd love to be able to fix things in my house and get super agitated when I cannot and have to spend money to get someone else to do it. Sort of why I became a tech. I can now fix my car and know it is done right.
I definitely need to unsubscribe from this thread. There are a lot of bad techs. There are a lot of clueless car owners that think they're getting screwed over cause they can't even change a flat but need to tell the world about how the stealerahip stole their money.