01-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #38
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Heh! I love the 730d for that I must admit...as I really only do the stupidly early or rather late runs on the M4/A34 to work each week and there is not much traffic at that time, I can average 44 mpg (admittedly set to the speed limit) and get roughly 820 miles to a tank...stunning. Even going cross country when the weather and light are good to enjoy the New Forest...I can get 38 mpg...mind you that is mostly in comfort plus as well so kinder to the throttle response! Sport or Adaptive are rather more thirsty but much more fun when the mood does hit.
For reference on long motorway type trips I can get 27mpg on the M5 at a nice cruise. Funnily a guy at work has a Honda CRV 2.0 litre petrol which he picked vs a diesel as wasn't sure at the time what was going to happen to diesel in this country. He followed me on a trip and got 2mpg less than I got in the M5.

I guess point is when the engine isn't stressed and running at a lower rpm for the set speed smaller engines don't make much difference. It'll be the higher SUV drag I imagine that really pulled his mpg down. I just mention it when people say how stupid a big engined V8 is in the UK, it's not as it always seems. Obviously I get a bit lower mpg around the city or when I feel the need to rest my right foot on the floor

From what I've read I think the M760Li will do around 22mpg on those long runs. While I'm running it in I'll be bound to see how high I can get it because I cannot do the opposite and see how low I can push it

Quote:
Very true, The 265 bhp is fine for me and coming from Canada, one could say I've driven a bit in snow...
Bah you cheat in Canada with winter tires. We UK people are hard core with our All Seasons

Quote:
You can still break the rear end loose on wet if one wants to but not anywhere near as quickly or as much fun as the 300+ bhp that 325_bucks already has...
I still remember the first time I ever did that. Had company cars for a long time and a regular 2 litre front wheel job Mondeo was the last one. Once I got the chance to get out I ended up with the 330d. Shocked me a bit and felt so amazingly fast compared to what I was used to.

You know the sad thing is if you have a powerful car for your daily you get used to it and then numb that it doesn't feel all that fast anymore. I still enjoy the screams from my mother though when I floor it

Quote:
front wheel drive comment: I may refrain from telling the wife that though...I've been married long enough to know my place!
I've also been married a long time as well. I find my place is inside a panic room with very thick walls and a supply of food and beer
Appreciate 0