View Single Post
      09-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

AFAIK, only US market models have the TPMS as it is mandated by the US government that all new vehicles have this system. In fact the system based on tire rotation is no longer allowed in the US (well at least that is what I have been told by BMW). The rest of the world doesn't seem to get the TPMS systems and quite frankly seeing as there have been recent reports that cars can be identified a good block or more away by the signals these TPMS units transmit, and the security risk they pose, I am glad my car doesn't have them. One of the reports indicates that the TPMS system in the car does not use any kind of encryption and hence hackers can fool the system to think the tires are low on pressure. On an even more sinister note, the security expert that wrote the report indicated that it is also possible to hack into the car's network via the TPMS receiver and cause other nasty situations, e.g. turn the engine off, shift gears, apply brakes, etc. and all of this via wireless communication! The easy fix would be to encrypt the communication between the TPMS transmitter in the tire and the receiver in the car.
Anyway, it's a bit off-topic but I thought this is something worthwhile mentioning!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0