Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I too was in the same boat as you are. I just didn't feel that the F30 was the focused driver's car the 3-series used to be nor would it be worth twice the price of the car I was considering. The 3-series used to be the standard of the industry, let alone its class. Today, the 3-series no longer wins competitions amongst its peers and the driving enjoyment has been dulled. They are now selling cars for the masses rather than the enthusiast (other than the 2-series, but I need 4 or 5-doors as I have a four year old little girl).

I ended up getting a 2015 VW GTI and haven't been happier.

I bought this car because it had actual usable space (I can fit four adults without a problem), has a really nice interior (plaid cloth is perfect) and is a blast to drive (I can't feel any torque steer). Oh, and it was literally half the price of a spec'd as I would want BMW 328.

My GTI is an S model, manual with lighting package 4-door. My price was under $25K plus taxes etc. In mixed driving, it's right around 30 mpg. In pure highway driving it'll do an honest 34 mpg.

The overall package and driving experience is what really sold me. This car is a within a whisker of the F30 328 in terms of performance. Again, for half the price and more useable because of the hatch. The F31 doesn't have a manual or RWD option. I suppose a 2-series M2 4-door or 5-door would be ideal for me, but I don't think they're going to make that anytime soon.
Another bonus for me was the GTI weighs barely over 3,000 lbs. I really like light weight cars. I spent a small fortune lowering the weight of my e90 and loved every minute of it (for sale right now).

In the end, I went with a solid choice for fun and functionality. I too considered the Fiesta ST, but it was just a bit too small for me and I didn't like the interior trim at all.

This is my GTI:
You can't feel tq steer because there is no power.
Appreciate 0