View Single Post
      02-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Nothing really on the car front. I buy cars for the purpose I intend it for. Daily beater. Garage queen/weekend warrior. The 2013 135i I have now is the first time I got a nice car that I would normally put into the garage queen/weekend warrior category but use it as a daily driver as it's my only car now.

What sort of fits into this category but related to motorcycles is my 2009 Ducati 848. Wanted to try something different over the inline 4 Japanese sportbikes I have owned thus far. In the beginning, it was cool to be in the "club". It was also interesting the amount of attention the bike got. Parked, I would watch people constantly walking up to it checking it out over other parked bikes next to mine. Had a couple of guys delay walking into a restaurant because they wanted to hear my bike take off from a stop at a traffic light. And then there was this girl in a car that was taking pictures of my bike while sitting in traffic. All the mystique wore off as I got more seat time on the bike. The tank was not shaped to my preference where I could easily grip the tank with my knees like I can with the wider inline 4 fuel tanks. I ran into a bunch of problems with the bike with the two worst being a failed head gasket on the horizontal cylinder and the infamous fuel tank debacle where Ducati gave all of us 848/1098/1198 owners the middle finger. A bit after I got my 848, I got to run a BMW S1000RR on the track. Man is that a good bike. I tell everyone had I waited and got the chance to run the S1000RR before purchase, I would have a S1000RR in my garage now over the 848. And this is with the about $5000 of additional upgrades I did to the 848 that included a full Ohlins suspension package dialed for my body weight and the swap out of the two piece Brembo front calipers for the monoblocks put on the 1198s. But I don't regret my purchase of the 848 that much where I would sell/trade it in for the heck of it.
Appreciate 1