View Single Post
      11-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Like I said earlier today, don't touch one without a full warranty. The repairs are gonna add up to very, very, big numbers. Thats why I'm getting rid of mine. Service department told me to. Hit 50k miles, warranty is gone, told me to get rid of it or prepare to drop $30-40k in the next few years in maintenance and repairs. All I needed to hear. Goodbye 750.

Oh yeah, extended warranties will only cover up to the value of the car, and early F01/02s are below $30k, so even if you get one, they may not pay for the needed repairs. CPO is the only way to go if you can't afford a 2012-2014 car still under factory warranty.

As far what goes wrong, where to begin? The N63 has weak valve seals. At around 60k, they're expected to leak. Leaking requires pulling the heads, tearing them down and rebuilding them with new seals. Its a $5k job if you're friendly with the shop. More if you aren't. The turbo oil seals have a tendency to leak (my car had this), causing oil to get into the turbo and eventually down into the intercooler. Requires replacing both the offending turbo and that intercooler. Another $5,000 job, per bank. The fuel feed line can leak from the pressure, and if its not caught, could ignite and melt the line, due to the immense heat in the engine bay (had that too). Its a fairly inexpensive fix, only a few hundred dollars, if the fire doesn't spread (mine didn't, just melted the line and went out). And then theres the lovely ZF 6 speed transmission. It gets cranky when the miles accumulate. It'll start banging into gear and occasionally slipping. A re-manufactured tranny runs $5022 wholesale, plus labor to install it. Count on $6k-6500 OTD. Thats about it for the powertrain. Should I go on to the drivetrain (rear end mounts) and suspension ($2k each rear shocks)?

Only a small fire on the fuel line.

Last edited by Mike_L; 11-05-2014 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0