View Single Post
      05-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Genevagear
Registered
Rep
Drives: S2000

Efthreeoh, thank you for detailing your experience. Do you feel those late 80's BMWs were designed better or worse than the current BMW's? (more finicky electronics for sure)

The_phew, I agree with you in many ways. Acura and Honda are making fewer American market vehicles in Japan. That might explain the drop in quality, but I can't say for sure. I believe it is best to keep the design and engineering in the same plant, or country, as the manufacturing. Cars designed in the home country and built in an another, using local/regional parts, always seem to have long-term quality and reliability issues. I would not buy an Acura/Honda built not built in Japan, or a BMW not built in Germany.

I went the other day and test drove the M235i. Drove great and I appreciated the heavy steering and good feel through the chassis and steering. I did not like the lack of spare tire, light steering at low speeds, engine sound through the speakers, no dip stick, and the driving modes.

The other thing that concerns me is the issue with contamination (carbon) build-up in the intake. This makes no sense to me. Routine maintenance is a replacement, or modification, of a part/materials before they cause performance degradation. The build-up of contamination in the intake is not a routine maintenance issue. A performance car should not experience gradual degradation in performance through its design-life until it requires maintenance to correct the problem.
Appreciate 0