View Single Post
      06-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #172
Joaozao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by granjef3 View Post
So I did this mod successfully to my F10 M5, some details for anyone who plans on doing this themselves:

You need to swap both black chips, not just the one circled.

Make sure the key you buy matches the frequency of your key, in my case I had a 315mhz key so that's what I bought.

To cut the key blank, most locksmiths won't have the setup to do F series BMW Keys, so have them cut it as a 2016 Chevy Impala key (weird I know, but it worked for me. As always, YMMV)

My research also shows that tools exist to program the fob after dumping the CAS flash to get the encryption code, then writing that to a blank key. It's unknown if this will work with the retrofit key, but if someone has the tool I'd like to work something out to give it a try. One I found that could possibly work is an AK91+ key writer, but I don't plan on purchasing one.

For those local to south Florida, PM me if interested in being part of a group buy for the blade fob.

Once I figure out the forum rules regarding a group buy, I plan on doing a forum wide one around August/September, where people would ship me your spare keys and I have my technician and locksmith down here swap the chips and cut the new blank. Your old key case will be lost in the process, as the case is ultrasonically welded closed and must be cut open to remove the circuit board.
Really hope we can get this group buy going I would certainly be in for one!
Appreciate 0