View Single Post
      03-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Interesting points, good to hear others perspective on many of the different aspects of the current 7. ^

I've never been able to let the self-parking do the whole parking job...don't have the bottle for it...I do wonder if that is the German's way of having a laugh...'watch this Franz, we tell ze car that a parking space ist 6 m long und 2.4m vide and vhen zeh try to park using ze feature....BAM! Ah, ze Englander....vatch him try to touch up zat Individual Blue paint after...HAH!'

Fully agree with the HUD...best improvement over past models by a long shot in my books, lets you fully concentrate on the roads and almost never need to look at the cockpit really. The size is really something that has to be seen and experienced doesn't it.

Good to know about the suspension thoughts, I know I have completely become used to this one and forget how hard and how stiffness can lead to loss of traction at times (outside a track!) on public roads...something for me to consider when I do go for some Summer alloys, be a shame to throw away the comfort for looks completely.

Love the bit about the fuel gauge...Shell had to let go of a few people last night after doing an emergency call in as they knew you were going out...but you didn't stop in to even say so much as a 'how do' to them...Stock prices have dropped until you issue a statement to clarify that you aren't now looking to move to a diesel....

They've really got the handling and feel of the car right with excellent visibility and position for such a large car that you forget all that once inside. Love it, never want to go back to a different model now.

Personally, the 730d is perfect for the daily car concept. It is quick enough, it is very frugal, it has enough power so one is not wanting, it keeps the tax man at bay (comparatively) and if one really wanted just that bit more oomph...you could get it remapped to output the 15% or 20% more without pushing it and be where a 740 would be anyway for a lot less money than buying the 740. If I keep this one for the next couple of years I may remap at some later point when all the compacts get a discernible boost so one can maintain just that bit more to be able to nip and tuck when needed in traffic to avoid issues but not for being able to race, it just is such a lovely car that I'm quite happy to do the grand touring concept...fast but not stupid and completely in comfort....let the boy racers drag their bottoms and shake and rattle away....

the 760 is an exception...at least in concept...it seems to be able to sleep and be the tame tiger when wanted but also be able to quickly disavow anyone of the illusion that it isn't the best production car they make...Although it does come with the higher price tag, higher running costs (services will be interesting to hear about! 325_bucks, tyzer and myself will pass the hat around and buy you a pint and a chaser to get over the shock and bring some warmth back into your body upon seeing the total on page 12...) A stunning example, hope it doesn't have a sting in its tail though with taxes, fuel, servicing costs (if one was to have it longer than the 5 years or drive more than 50k miles with it)

I do personally like the 730 or the 760, not sure I'd go for anything else myself...and the 730 is just a lovely sweet spot that does everything without complaint but can be upgraded with remapping to get that bit more if needed in a few years time to stay up with the jones's...