View Single Post
      02-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Falafel Combo ,

First how many years have you been driving?

If you say anything less than 35yrs than I have far more experience driving in bad weather especially snow and deep snow. I grew up in the northeast.

Next when it took you 4 hours to get home in deep snow did you turn off DTS if not that is the problem. Traction control is one of the single worse thing to have while driving in snow especially if you have to drive up and down hills. I have been in cars where DTS was so agressive it stop the car completely on a hill. As you pointed out keeping your moment up is the most important thing when driving in snow. DTS is counter to this.

I will tell you AWD is not going to be any better in this regard and probably worse if you leave DTS turned on.

I have driven all kinds of cars, trucks (2W and 4W) along with AWD cars and I find that AWD along with pickups are the worse from a predictablility stand point on how it will respond to changing road conditionsor when you loose control.

That is my two cents from all the years of driving in various snow conditions as well driving my 335I with good snow tire for the last 8 years. I have never got stuck in my 335I even when other cars were stuck or slide off the road, but I usually turn off DTS and drive at a reasonable speed.

This is what there is a button to turn DTS off, when traction control first arrived cars you could not turn it off and it suck since you would easily get stuck on a hill in the snow.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-03-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0