View Single Post
      12-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
There are other practical reasons to prioritize packets. Health data for one example, security data for another. The original regulation put in place during Obama's presidency was far too restrictive and onerous. It needed modification at the very least.

Most of what you read lately is doom/gloom/assume the worst "foofaraw" (love that word), which is to say you should largely ignore it. This internet thingie is still very much under construction.
With data networks, it will always be under "construction". The issue at hand here is how the system here in the States have been allowed to evolve. Lifting the net neutrality restrictions will not all of a sudden cause the handful of ISPs, and in particular, the one or two of them that operate in local "open" markets to start shelling out tons of capital to upgrade their infrastructure/improve their service.

What should happen and the anti-government meddling crowd will be up in arms about this is to have a publically owned infrastructure which provides the wiring up to your home/business. The other end terminates into a smaller MAE/colo site where the ISPs can run their backbones in to. From there the ISPs would connect into the publically owned infrastructure to provide final service into the Internet. This allows maximum choice as the ISP won't own the lines to your home and reduces expenditures for ISPs to drop backbones into their own networks. As a consumer, you would just say I want Comcast or Time Warner or Verizon or.....who ever has done the investment to pull a connection into your MAE/colo for your area. A setup like this would be as close to a free open market than the sham system we have in place now.
Appreciate 0